Friday, September 09, 2005

Im Spinning NOW!!

I seem to spend more time reading others blogs than creating my own :) I broke down and finally bought a Ashford Traditional spinning wheel and I am having a blast. I've spun about 5 lbs of fleece in the last couple of weeks before starting school again. I was told by a wonderful man who owns Winderwood Farms, that I am spinning way to thick and WAY to much fleece. Once I figured out what he was talking about I can see that he was right. I was spinning rope. Now at least things are a bit finer and much less fleece. This pink blob is one of the first skeins that I spun. I dyed it using Rit Dye and it's a wonderful cotton candy color. I have made a hat and mittens from it but honestly they weigh about a ton :) Should keep my niece warm through oh the sub artic temps of wisconsin. I am very pleased with the way it came out, though others may say it's kinda a mess. I spent about a week getting my spinning more even and went off into the world of plying and came up with some beautiful 2 ply wool. THEN, I dyed it. BIg mistake. You know the color of baby poop.. well this is about the color I have. I've come to the realization that rit dye just doesn't cut it for what I want. Bob, my friend from winderwood farm, sent me some Cushings dye and it's great. He uses a dry dye from a salt shaker and placement is very easy. I am still trying to find the best way to dye. I used an aluminum foil basting pan and.. well after about 5 batches the damn thing got holes in it and now my stove is a pretty shade of purple. Darling husband is a little miffed but has since taken to calling me "mad scientist". Ahh Pet names. This next picture is the baby poop plyed wool. I think I will end up with a lovely hat and mitten set as there is only about 400 yards. Actually the picture doesn't look so bad and perhaps when my next shipment of roving comes in I will be able to create more that will go with this strange color combination. I also have to remember not to wear new shoes and remember TO wear gloves as my hands and new white shoes are a lovely shade of yellowish brown. Oh well, live and learn. It's hard being a newbie at something with no one around to offer suggestions. Bob has been a great deal of encouragement and support. He also has lovely things and a joy to deal with. Well, I should do some house cleaning. NAH.... maybe plan for next project. Thank god for Fridays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home